If you are new to Christianity, please feel free to e-mail Christopher at email@example.com and ask as many questions as you like.
In short, Christians believe that the human race is separated from God because of the wrong things - sins - that we have all done. We believe that Jesus is God in the form of a human being and that He died on a cross to take our place so that our souls may live eternally. Because Jesus paid that price for us, we can have God's forgivness and live a whole new life with Him. Now that is good news!
Christian beliefs are summarised in the following statement:
I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day, He rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From there, He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit.
I believe in the holy universal church, the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body
and the life everlasting. Amen.
If you want to know where to start, may we suggetst Mark's Gospel in The Bible? The gospels are eye-witness accounts of the life of Jesus; Mark's being the shortest and first to be written.
The following books may also be useful:
- Roger Carswell, Why Believe?, (STL, 1990).
- Roger Carswell, Where Is God In A Messed Up World? (IVP, 2009).
- Barry Cooper & Rico Tice, Christianity Explored, (Eerdmans, 1986).
- Dr. John Lennox, Has Science Buried God?, (Kregel Pubns, 2007).
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, (Harper San Francisco, 2001).
- Frank Morison, Who Moved the Stone?, (Zondervan, 1977).
- Rev. John Stott, Basic Christianity, (Authentic Media, 2002).